By Mike Fairless, Keith
Linton-on-Ouse August 1960 – May
No.1 FTS moved to RAF
Linton-on-Ouse in November 1957 and provided initial flying training for all prospective Fleet Air Arm pilots, with the basic squadron flying Piston Provosts (later superseded by Jet Provost T3s and T4s) and the advanced squadron equipped with Vampire T11s. The students graduated from Linton and transferred to either
Lossiemouth (Sea Hawks and Scimitars), Yeovilton (Sea Venoms and Sea Vixens) for operational training. The first Jet Provost T3 was delivered in
August 1960 and the first course (No.93 Course, a mixed Piston Provost/Jet Provost course) began training on 19th October. In December 1969 the school became one of the first to receive the Jet
Provost T5, gradually replacing the Jet Provost T4. On 20th May 1993, the official farewell flypast ceremony took place when 15 Jet Provosts formed the initials "JP". The last Jet Provost course,
No.125 Course, graduated on 04th June 1993.
Jet Provost T3/3A August 1960 - June 1993
Jet Provost T4 April 1962 – July 1970
Jet Provost T5 December 1969 - July 1975
Jet Provost T5A May 1975 – June 1993
Reformed at Hullavington on 01st June 1954 with Provosts and a few Chipmunk
aircraft. On 25th August
1955 the first two Jet Provost T1s arrived from South Cerney and first 'experimental' ab initio course – No.113 (Jet) Course
– began in September 1955. The third course – 125 (Jet) Course - began in March 1957 but did not complete and finished its training with the 2 FTS Provost element. The school transferred to Syerston with Piston Provosts on 18th November 1957; Jet
Provost aircraft passed to CFS Little Rissington for instructor training and to form 'aerobatic flight'.
On 16th September 1959, No.2 FTS at Syerston became the first to receive
the Jet Provost T 3 and ab initio course training began with No.143 Course on 07th October 1959. The unit became 2 (Basic) FTS from
December 1966. On 16th January 1970 No.2 FTS disbanded and reformed the same day at Church Fenton from the PFS operating Chipmunk T.10s
Jet Provost T1 August 1955 – November 1959
Jet Provost T3 June 1959 – September 1969
Jet Provost T4 May 1962 – December 1969
Reformed at Leeming on 15th September 1961, equipped with Jet Provost
T3s. The first course of fifteen students arrived in October 1961, with flying training beginning later in the month. In July 1970 No. 3FTS started to receive the T5 version and the last course (No.65) for training basic students was completed 11th October 1974, which also effectively marked the end of the T3/T3A with
the unit. In December 1973 the School of Refresher Flying (SoRF) arrived from Manby and was absorbed into No.3 FTS as 1 Sqn/3 FTS (and later received the T5A in 1976).
School of Refresher Flying
Leeming Jet Provost T 4 April 1975 – October 1976
The SoRF was renamed the Refresher Flying Squadron (of No.3FTS) in 1977 (The last T4 sortie was
flown by a SoRF aircraft in October 1976, which was by then equipped with the T5A). No.3FTS disbanded 26th April 1984.
No.3FTS reformed again 01st February 1989 with the T5A from the flying element of the RAF College.
On 11th October 1991 a flypast of Jet Provosts in a "Diamond Nine" formation over Cranwell marked its withdrawal from service and the graduation of Course 88, the last Flying Training course to use
the type. The last Jet Provost left the unit 29th October 1991.
Jet Provost T3 August 1961 – March 1971
Jet Provost T3A September 1974 – January 1977
Jet Provost T4 March 1962 – October 1976
Jet Provost T5 July 1970 – October 1975
Jet Provost T5A April 1974 – October 1991
Acklington July 1961 – 30th June
Finningley May 1970 – September
No.6 FTS moved from Ternhill to Acklington between 24th July - 04th August 1961 and its Percival
Provost T1s were gradually replaced by Jet Provost T3s, the first of which was delivered in June 1961. The first ab initio course (No.162 Course) began with twenty-four students on 13th September
1961. The school disbanded as a pilot training unit on 30th June 1968.
Reformed 01st May 1970 at Finningley within No.23 Group as an Air Navigation School from an
amalgamation of 1 ANS (Varsity T1 and Dominie T1) and 2 ANS (Varsity T1), the first Jet Provost T3 arriving in August.
On 14th August 1993, the Low Level and Air Defence Training Squadron made its final farewell to
the Jet Provost in the navigation training role when four aircraft staged a "dying swan" formation over the airfield. The school was disbanded on 31st March 1996.
Jet Provost T3 June 1961 – June 1968; August 1970 – April 1971
Jet Provost T4 June 1962 - June 1968; November 1972 – December 1975
Jet Provost T5 October 1975 – September 1993
Jet Provost T5A November 1985 – November 1989
Jet Provost T5B September 1988 - September 1993
Church Fenton March 1962 – 30th
Church Fenton April 1979 –
disbanded 01st April 1992
Reformed at Church Fenton 23th March 1962 with Jet Provost T3. The first ab initio course (1 Course) began on 24th April 1962,
with the twenty-six students commencing their flying training on 09th May 1962. Disbanded at Church Fenton 30 November 1966. Reformed 02nd April 1979 at Church Fenton with Jet Provost T3A. Disbanded again 31st March
Jet Provost T3 March 1962 – August 1966
Jet Provost T3A April 1979 - October 1990
Jet Provost T4 September 1962 – December 1966
Jet Provost T5A April 1979 – September 1991
Central Flying School
Little Rissington; Cranwell;
Part A of the Jet Provost T1's service trials were conducted at CFS in July 1955. Three aircraft
were used, flying 111 hours to investigate the behaviour of the aircraft and to formulate a training syllabus for the ten instructors. With the completion of the evaluation courses at No.2 FTS, seven
Jet Provost T1s were transferred from Hullavington in November 1957 for QFI
familiarization. Four Jet
Provost T1s also formed the regular basis of the 'The CFS Jet Aerobatic Team', 1958/1959. In April 1958, two students of 191 Course became the first to complete
their ab initio training on the Jet
Provost. The following year, six students of 199 Course became the first to graduate as Jet Provost QFIs in November 1959. In July 1959 the first batch of Jet Provost T3s destined for the CFS were collected from Lyneham and QFI course
training commenced with No.200 Course in October; two courses were normally operated, concurrently, each progressing through the basic and advanced stages of flying
With the closure of Little Rissington in April 1976 the CFS moved to Cranwell and was absorbed into the
RAFC. On 05th September 1977, the CFS became a seperate unit again and moved to Leeming, then to Scampton in September 1984, before returning to Cranwell in May 1995.
Jet Provost T1 July 1955 – September 1955; November 1957 - November 1959
Jet Provost T3/3A July 1959 – April 1988
Jet Provost T4 November 1961 – March 1970
Jet Provost T5 September 1969 – June 1975
Jet Provost T5A March 1974 – May 1992
The first Jet Provost T3s arrived in June 1960 and the first course (No.81 Entry) began its basic
flying training the following September.
On 12th April 1976 the CFS arrived from Little Rissington and transferred its aircraft into RAFC
charge from that date; it is reported that CFS retained their autonomy during their period here. From October 1969 the run down of the CFS T4s began and aircraft were transferred to storage at 27 MU;
the last T4 flown out being XN467:49 on 16th June 1970. The CFS echelon moved to Leeming 05th September 1977 as a separate unit and took a number of aircraft with them. On 01st February 1989 the
flying element became 3FTS.
Jet Provost T3/3A June 1960 – April 1980
Jet Provost T4 December 1961 - June 1970
Jet Provost T5/5A December 1970 - November 1991
College of Air
Formed on 01st July 1962 by renaming the Manby-based RAF Flying College. The CAW was responsible
for many post-graduate courses for RAF officers and aircrew, while the School of Refresher Flying was tasked with restoring pilot handling skills. In May 1965 the CAW's Meteors were replaced by Jet
Provosts. From 07th January 1974 the CAW began to transfer its tasks to the RAF College before disbanding 01st April 1974.
Jet Provost T4 May 1965 – April 1974
Central Air Traffic Control
The unit was formed 1on 1 March 1963 from the CN&CS at Shawbury and was responsible for the
training of student air traffic controllers, initially equipped with Vampire T11s and Provost T 1s. The Provosts were withdrawn in November 1968 and the Vampires were replaced by Jet Provost T4s in
November 1970. On 05th July 1989, the Jet Provosts were officially withdrawn from unit service when six aircraft made a formation flypast over Shrewsbury.
Jet Provost T 4 September 1970 - July 1989
No. 26 Squadron
The squadron operated as a holding unit for the staff at HQ Training Command at Brampton; unit
became Wyton detachment wef 31st March 1976. Ownership transferred to RAFC on 31st December 1976 as Jet Provost detachment
Jet Provost T4 July 1974 – October 1977
No.1 Tactical Weapons Unit / 79(R)
In September 1974, 229 OCU at Chivenor was disbanded and its commitment transferred to the
newly-formed Tactical Weapons Unit at Brawdy; the unit being renamed as 1 TWU in July 1978. The Jet Provosts were operated by 'C' Flight of 79 (R) Squadron to assist in the training of RAF and Army
forward air controllers (Joint Forward Air Controller Training and Standards Unit), refresher flying and UK familiarisation flying for exchange students. The last four aircraft were officially
withdrawn on 31st March 1989 and issued to 2 SoTT, Cosford, as ground instructional airframes.
Jet Provost T4 February 1976 – March 1989
Exeter Jet Provost T4 April 1969 - October 1970 (evaluation)
Jet Provost Trials Unit/20 Squadron
Tengah / Butterworth Jet Provost T4 September 1965 – March 1966
A&AEE, Boscombe Down; BSE/Rolls-Royce, Filton; ETPS, Farnborough; RAE Farnborough; Handling Squadron, Boscombe Down; 7 (Eng) Squadron, St Athan (hack); 228 OCU
Coningsby (hack); 4 FTS, Valley/Fairford (det) (hack); 5 MU (hack).